PragmatIC's technology platform creates a microcircuit that can be easily embedded in any flexible surface.
It enables the introduction of intelligence and interactivity into a wide range of products and applications where the use of silicon chips is impractical
PragmatIC has developed a unique platform of patented technologies to design and manufacture flexible integrated circuits (flexICs), also known as “printed logic”. These flexICs deliver intelligent electronics without the need for rigid, bulky and expensive silicon chips.
PragmatIC’s patented suite of technologies overcomes the constraints of conventional electronics, enabling ultra-thin and flexible integrated circuits at significantly lower cost than silicon chips. PragmatIC’s unique advantage derives from several key innovations:
- Functional electronic materials that are much cheaper than silicon, and able to be formed on flexible plastic substrates in extremely thin films – less than 100nm thick, about 1000 times thinner than a human hair!
- Patterning processes that are able to accurately define features in these thin film materials, also at very fine scale (less than 100nm), but are dramatically simpler and faster than the processes used in an expensive silicon fabrication plant.
- Novel architectures for transistors (and other key electronic devices) that ensure perfect alignment of all critical device features, even when fabricated on plastic substrates that expand, contract or move during processing.
Seamless fit with everyday objects
- Thinner than a human hair
- Flexible and conformal
- Mostly or completely transparent
Simple to integrate
- No rigid interconnection points
- No “package” required for protection
- Compatible with existing pick-and-place attach systems
- Suitable for lamination or high speed transfer
Extremely low cost materials & process
- Less than 1/10th cost of silicon
- Less than 1¢ per circuit for many applications
Given the cost effective nature of the product, the applications for PragmatIC devices are vast: from intelligent packaging of fast-moving consumer goods, to wireless traceability of documents for security and identification.
PragmatIC has a growing revenue base from large multi-national customers across a number of sectors, including consumer goods, security printing and wearable electronics. While most of these relationships remain confidential, development projects with industry leaders such as Procter and Gamble, De La Rue plc and Hallmark have been announced.